Owners’ & Trainers’ Liability Program
The National Horsemen’s Benevolent & Protective Association (N.H.B.P.A)
through StarNet Insurance Company (a Berkley Company)
A program for members of the H.B.P.A. to protect your assets in the event you are liable for bodily injury or damage to property arising from your equine activities, whether that be breeding, racing, sales or training. This special program has been devised exclusively with H.B.P.A. member’s equine exposures in mind.
If you are NOT a member of the N.H.B.P.A. or state H.B.P.A. affiliates, we can facilitate your annual membership. Please include a separate check of $200 for the annual Membership fee or call the National H.B.P.A. at 1-866-245-1711.
The Master policy is effective November 1- November 1, annually.
What does it cover?
- Covers liability for injuries to participants (non-employee jockeys & non-employee exercise riders) This policy will respond in the event that you are legally liable for bodily injury of an athletic participant arising from your equine activities.
- Covers contractual liability (i.e. hold harmless in Racetrack Stall Agreements)
- Premises & Operations Liability coverage for all equine operations including breeding, boarding, training and racing (away from premises).
- Limits provided:
- $1,000,000 per occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate (combined bodily injury / property)
- $50,000 Damage to Rented Premises
- $5,000 Medical Payments
- Excess limits available, with Underwriter approval
*Please note: This coverage is NOT a substitute for Workers’ Compensation, Health or Accident, or a Farm Owner’s policy. Such alternate coverages would be primary in the event of a claim.
What are the rates?
|If applying for coverage:||Owner’s & Trainers|
|Before April 30||$ 90 / per horse
*minimum premium of $180
|After May 1||$ 50 / per horse
*minimum premium of $100
The master policy renews each year on November 1, but NEW applicants may apply any time.
What do I have to do?
- Complete a State-specific Application
- Include ALL owned / trained horses
- Send payment of calculated premium* to:
Stone Lane, LLC
3006 Eastpoint Parkway
*Coverage can only be bound upon company acceptance of an application & receipt of payment.
Renewing applicants MUST send application / payment by November 1 each year in order to continue coverage without a lapse.
Excess Liability Coverage
Excess liability coverage is ONLY available with underwriter approval from StarNet.
Annual premiums are based on your total number of horses as follows:
|Total Number of Horses under 45||Total Number of Horses 45 or More|
|$1 Million @ $ 817.00||$1 Million @ $1,362.00|
|$2 Million @ $1,362.00||$2 Million @ $2,451.00|
|$3 Million @ $1,906.00||$3 Million @ $3,541.00|
|$4 Million @ $2,451.00||$4 Million @ $4,630.00|
|$5 Million @ $2,996.00||$5 Million @ $5,719.00|
Higher limits above $ 5 Million may be available. Call (502) 228-1600 if you are interested in a quote.